About This Job:
Q-Sourcing Limited trading as Q-Sourcing Servtec is a manpower management solutions firm operating in the East African Region in the countries of Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, and South Sudan.
On behalf of our client we are seeking an enthusiastic, self-motivated, and experienced early childhood development professional for the newly created position of ECD Director, Uganda. The ECD Director will develop and implement strategies and complete tasks to deliver the ECD curriculum and ensure a nurturing and professional environment for teachers and for the children who enroll at ECD Centers. The ECD Director will also ensure effective and efficient oversight and support of the program’s ECD Centers and the Centre Management Committees (CMCs) that manage and operate the ECD Centers.
The ECD Director reports to Uganda ECD Committee. The Program Managers (Eastern Region, Western Region, West Nile Region, and Central Region) report to the ECD Director. Executive Director (based in Canada) is available for support on a project-by-project basis.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Curriculum development and delivery
- Translate Ministry of Education & Sports curriculum into lesson plans for three class levels, and obtain the required National Curriculum Development Centre (NCDC) approvals
- Clearly define student learning goals/objectives for each class level; incorporate proven and well-regarded practices and philosophies into curriculum and lesson plans to achieve learning goals/objectives, with a focus on play-based teaching, child-led learning, and inquiry-based teaching;
- Implement classroom management strategies that are based on social emotional learning (SEL) models
- Develop guidelines for learning using play-based pedagogy (fostering play, observing play to assess students’ skills and levels, etc.)
- Provide the Program Managers with tools and supports to ensure consistent and effective delivery of the program curriculum at all ECD Centres
- Adapt the curriculum and delivery to reflect at-home learning (in addition to in-person learning), ensuring that at-home learning books and materials achieve desired to learn outcomes and that at-home materials support in-class learning
- Develop a parent handbook to educate parents on how to support their child’s learning at home and what to expect at school
- Develop a tool to assess and document children’s progress in reaching learning goals that are suitable for sharing with parents
- Strive to foster an attitude of ongoing improvement
- Encourage feedback on the learning plans, always fostering an attitude of ongoing improvement with the teachers and Program Managers
- Teacher training and development
- Develop and deliver in-person/remote training programs for new teachers and refresher programs to further develop the skills of experienced teachers
- Develop and deliver a training syllabus (scope and sequence) so that all teachers receive the same standardized training; ensure teachers understand the resources provided to them and how to effectively use them.
- Collect information from Program Managers and teachers to help inform training needs and gaps
- Ensure Program Managers are tracking teachers’ training schedules and ongoing professional development, and certification processes
- Resource development and management
ECD Centre opening resources and set-up
- Create a master list of all supplies required to open a new ECD Centre (such as: teaching supplies, learning materials, kitchen supplies, lavatory supplies, etc.); work with the Country Representative to ensure supplies are ordered
- Create a template for setting up classrooms and other school rooms, and outside play areas
- Ensure all new ECD centers are properly supplied and set up at the opening
Learning and Classroom Resources
- Collect and develop ideas from Program Managers and teachers for learning and classroom resources that can be made from locally available and sourced materials that complement and supplement the curriculum; encourage and provide the opportunity for teachers at all centers to share their ideas
- Prepare guides and instructions for making and using learning and play resources to encourage replication at all ECD Centers
- Ensure that there is an adequate Inventory of resources at all ECD centers and establish procedures for resource management, sanitization, and upkeep
- Ensure both indoor and outdoor spaces are optimized for teaching, learning and play and create standards for replication at all ECD Centers
- Operational systems
Develop and implement operational systems, including (but likely not limited to):
- Data (enrollment numbers, age and gender of students, etc.)
- Training (curriculum and operations)
- Human resources management (classroom ratios, teacher/caregiver qualifications)
- Quality assurance procedures to ensure all ECD Centres follow standards
- Monitoring and evaluation (curriculum, learning outcomes)
- School management (tracking student enrolment, attendance; hiring, training teachers; ordering supplies; school upkeep; CMC and parent engagement)
- Assessments (student learning, teacher performance)
- Reporting (content, format, templates, schedules)
- ECD Centre policies, master binder
- Create, apply, and oversee adherence to policies, guidelines and processes to ensure every ECD Centre is a healthy, nurturing, respectful, and professional environment for students and teachers, considering policies and guidelines such as (but likely not limited to):
- Code of conduct policy
- Health and safety policy (safe play, playground safety, in-class safety; protocols for cleaning, and pandemic protocols)
- Process to request supplies from the CMC
- Process to request ECD Centre maintenance/upkeep
- Create a Master Binder for each ECD Centre which includes all policies, guidelines, and processes, etc. and provides teachers with clear direction on how to operate their ECD Centre
- Government and community relations
Uganda’s Ministry of Education & Sport (MOE)
- Represent the organization with MOE to encourage its support of early childhood development generally, and their support of the organization specifically
- Build and maintain bridges and strong working relationships between MOE and the organization, and between MOE and the organization’s NGO partners
- Attend MOE meetings and seminars as the organization’s representative
- ECD team leadership
- Work with the Uganda ECD Committee to establish formal protocols for reports and prepare reports as requested
- Prepare/revise Program Managers’ job descriptions with a spirit that encourages engagement and collaboration; oversee, manage, and direct Program Managers’ work
- Conduct performance and pay reviews; renew contracts as necessary
- A Master’s Degree, preferably in early childhood development education, or an undergraduate degree in a similar field of study
- A minimum of 6 years of experience working in early childhood or primary education
- Teaching certification and previous teaching experience is an added advantage.
- Solid technical background with understanding or hands-on experience in Early childhood or primary education and development.
- Proven program management and program execution experience
- Strong interpersonal, project management and organizational skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent command of Google Suite or Microsoft Office products
- Ability to manage issues, concerns, and difficult situations calmly
- Results-oriented with the ability to track progress against objectives
- Must have a cell phone
How to apply:
All candidates who meet the criteria outlined as above are encouraged apply under the job vacancy “QSSU-RED-ECD- ECD DIRECTOR”.
Deadline for applications is not later than 8:00 am, Friday February 25th, 2022.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Q-SOURCING SERVTEC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. ANY SOLICITATION WILL LEAD TO DISQUALIFICATION.
To apply for this job please visit qsourcingservtec.applytojob.com.