About This Job:
Q-Sourcing Servtec is a manpower management solutions firm operating in the East African Region in the countries of Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, and South Sudan.
On behalf of our client USAID learning Activity, we are looking for a competent, skilled, and experienced Program Advisor (Health) to work in Kampala.
Department: Uganda Learning Activity
Period of Performance: The program Advisor (Health) will serve through the end of the contract, unless terminated in accordance with QED policy and Ugandan law.
The purpose of the USAID Learning Activity (ULA) is to further strengthen USAID/Uganda performance and improve the performance of its implementing partners, with a focus on collaborating, learning, and adapting, to enhance the impact and sustainability of USAID-supported contributions to Uganda’s development. The ULA will achieve this through three objectives:
- Collaboration: Strengthened collaboration, both internally and with external stakeholders, enables USAID to better leverage expertise, learning and resources; and deepens local ownership.
- Learning: Systematic learning, through applied research, monitoring and evaluation, informs and improves the relevance, quality, and cost- effectiveness of programs and operations
- Performing: Adaptive management of program implementation and meta-level interventions to improve the quality of USAID program outcomes.
The USAID Uganda Health Systems Strengthening (UHSS) Activity is a five-year activity (October 15, 2019, to October 15, 2024), implemented by THE Palladium Group. The goal of the UHSS Activity is to improve the performance of Uganda’s health systems in public and private health sectors at national, sub national and community levels through providing tailored and innovative technical assistance (TA). The activity is expected to achieve three related results, namely:
- Improved leadership and accountability for results at each level of the health sector.
- Increased availability and improved management of key health systems resources; and
- Strengthened community systems for quality health services.
The UHSS Activity interventions are expected to be aligned to the Government of Uganda (GoU)’s Health Sector Development Plan II – 2020/21-2024/25 and USAID’s global Vision for Health Systems Strengthening (HSS). The overall technical strategy is to engage key stakeholders, empower them through increased capacity, and promote more efficient and equitable health systems. UHSS supports an enabling policy environment and generates evidence to inform planning, budgeting, financial management, and performance monitoring. The activity particularly focuses on strengthening governance, health financing, health workforce, and community systems at all levels of the health system. UHSS supports policy development and implementation; strengthens processes for responsive and evidence-based planning and budgeting, strategic data collection and use in decision-making, and more transparent and efficient management of health sector resources; and leverages new and existing partnerships, including with private sector and non-health entities.
The Program Advisor (Health) will be empowered to proactively integrate USAID learning cycle processes into a cohesive project management approach which leads toward collaboration, learning, and adaptation (CLA) for improved development results. Further, he/she will support USAID/Uganda in monitoring the work of implementing partners.
Responsibilities & Tasks:
- Monitor implementing partner (IP) performance, helping to ensure the quality and accuracy of IP data and reporting, IP compliance with U.S. Government policies and regulations, and progress toward results. Meet USAID/Uganda reporting requirements.
- Knowledge gathering external evidence synthesis, literature reviews, overall evidence tracking, outcome and output data calls from USAID reporting systems and directly from IPs as needed, relevant data and evidence gathering from other USAID activities, with potential impact on respective assigned technical office results.
- Knowledge management: Theory of change tracking, assumption monitoring, provide IP and mission with updates on activity progress; support theory of change refinement and alignment to mission results.
- Knowledge dissemination: internal and external presentations on relevant knowledge for activity management and collaboration. Prepare briefing papers, success stories and other outreach documents.
- Activity advisory services: continuous advisory services support related to USAID Automated Directives System (ADS) guidance on activity management, overall program cycle, and specific monitoring, evaluation, and learning requirements for effective activity management.
- Collaboration and engagement: ideation, supported design, and facilitation of activity collaboration activities, including internal USAID collaboration and external collaboration with IPs or other development partners including government; stakeholder mapping and analysis; relationship building with external activity partners as needed.
- Activity coordination support: activity site visits, regular meetings with IP implementation team and technical office team. Plan for USAID/Uganda events and field trips for portfolio management and review
Qualifications and Experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in public health, health sciences, development studies, project management or another relevant field
- Minimum seven (7) years’ experience working in health programs for USAID or other donors
- Understanding of USAID and development programming. Understanding of development partner and host country government development landscape, key stakeholders, and potential USAID partners within respective project focus areas
- Knowledge of USAID project management processes and overall program cycle, including monitoring, evaluation, and learning practices and policy, extensive
- Clear communication skills in both written and oral forms. Accuracy and fluency in written and spoken English, additional fluency in any of Uganda’s local languages preferred
- Ability to work independently and excellent time management. Ingenuity, ability to generate ideas for a variety of activities, propose new courses of action, suggest appropriate, mitigated risks
- Relationship building skillset, ability to understand and respond to project management needs and develop trust
- Synthesis, ability to gather information from disparate sources and connect the dots to form a coherent picture of project progress and external circumstances, ability to tell a compelling story with evidence
- Proactive, ability to take on new tasks with little direction, chart a course of action, advise clients, colleagues, and supervisors on possible opportunities and challenges
- Collaborative, ability to work with colleagues and partners across sectors and outside traditional functional expertise to catalyze activity toward shared objectives
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
All candidates who meet the criteria outlined as above are encouraged apply under the job vacancy “QSSU-LMN-PGA-PROGRAM ADVSIOR”
Deadline for applications is not later than 5:00 pm, 30 th September 2022
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.