About This Job:
Q-Sourcing Limited trading as Q-Sourcing Servtec is a manpower management solutions firm operating in the East African Region in the countries of Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, and South Sudan.
On behalf of our client EACOP, we are looking for competent, skilled, and experienced Legal Manager to work in Kampala.
Report to : LEGAL DIRECTOR (n+1); EACOP MANAGING DIRECTOR (n+2)
- Direct subordinates (number): 3
- Staff managed (number) : 3
The Legal Manager will be responsible for managing the legal function of the Company in relation to its activities in Uganda. S/he will be part of the legal function assisting the Legal Director in providing legal support and advice to the different business units in the Company and the various project activities in Uganda. The Legal Manager will assist the Legal Director to implement the agreed legal framework for the project in Uganda. S/he will support the Legal Director in complying with the Company and/or its activities’ legal and regulatory obligations in Uganda.
The role will also involve supporting the Legal Director in her Company Secretarial function and interaction with Shareholders and the Board. The Legal Manager will protect the interests of the Branch from any legal liabilities or risks.
- Provide advice and opinions on the interpretation, application and enforcement of domestic laws and regulations to the activities of EACOP in Uganda.
- Train the different business units on the rights and obligations of the Company in Uganda.
- Supervise and support all legal aspects of the project activities in Uganda.
- Providing support and advice to the Company Secretary in carrying out duties relating to the effective governance and performance of the Board.
- Assist the Legal Director on the Project Financing workstream as it pertains to the Project’s activities in Uganda.
- Assist the Legal Director in preparing memoranda for the project’s main legal risks, issues and areas of interest in Uganda.
- Assist the Legal Director to develop and maintain EACOP’s legal policies.
- Assist the Legal Director on internal and external reporting.
- Support the Legal Director in any dispute resolution and judicial proceedings in which EACOP UG may be a party.
- Support the development of corporate governance best practice in all EACOP entities.
- Maintain accurate documentation of corporate governance activities and processes, including updating and maintaining the statutory books in Uganda.
- Assist Project Contracts Manager in the event of any disputes, claims arising out of EACOP’s procurement activities.
- Develop the legal inputs into the Company Management System.
Undertake such other assignments as requirement in furtherance of the Department’s mandate.
Context and Environment
The East African Crude Oil Pipeline (EACOP) Limited is a Company registered in United Kingdom with Branches in Uganda and Tanzania. It is currently implementing the EACOP Project in Uganda through its branch EACOP UG Branch which oversees in country activities and day to day hosting of the project in Uganda. The legal and commercial framework for the Project in Uganda has been established in the Uganda Host Government Agreement and enacted through legislation as required. The Final Investment Decision for the Project was taken early this year and the Project is in the development of the construction phase of the project which will see both international companies as contractors to the Company and the in-country activities increasing rapidly. Therefore, a strong, resourceful and reactive legal team will be essential to ensure project is executed within the agreed legal framework in Uganda and in line with the project schedule.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree (minimum Upper Second) in Law.
- Qualified to practise in Uganda.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience as a senior legal counsel/managing associate in a law firm, with experience working on international projects and with international clients.
- Excellent contract drafting and negotiation skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural business environment with high profile conflict risk potentials with partners and/or stakeholders.
- An effective communicator with excellent interpersonal skills and experience of board level interaction.
- Strong organisational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks and prioritise accordingly.
- Attention to detail with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- High degree of discretion and professionalism.
- Oil & gas experience or qualifications will be an added advantage.
- The successful candidate will demonstrate that s/he can take ownership of the job responsibilities and hold themselves accountable for their successful completion.
- Excellent communication skills (in English speaking and writing) and strong interpersonal relationship ability
- Ability to complete multiple, diverse tasks of differing priorities.
Required Software Skills: Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and Outlook
How to apply:
All candidates who meet the criteria outlined as above are encouraged apply under the job vacancy “QSSU-EACOP-LM-LEGAL MANAGER”
Deadline for applications is not later than 5:00 pm, Wednesday 17th August 2022.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Q-SOURCING SERVTEC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. ANY SOLICITATION WILL LEAD TO DISQUALIFICATION.
To apply for this job please visit qsourcingservtec.applytojob.com.