JOB TITLE: Sustainability Manager/specialist
About This Job:
Q-Sourcing Limited trading as Q-Sourcing Servtec is a manpower management solutions firm operating in the East African Region in the countries of Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, and South Sudan.
On behalf of our client in the retail industry, we are looking for a competent, skilled, and experienced Sustainability Specialist / Manager to work in Nairobi.
The Sustainability Specialist / Manager will be responsible for overseeing the day-to-day implementation of the company’s sustainability strategy in the country’s operations (stores and head office). The sustainability strategy includes Net Positive Carbon and Water, Circular Economy (including single-use plastic reduction/phase-out), and the Health and Wellness proposition to customers. Stakeholder management skills are key, as the candidate will need to liaise with all functions in the country (store operations, business development, HC, marketing & sourcing, omnichannel).
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensuring that all new fitout developments in the country achieve a “5-Star” rating under Majid Al Futtaim’s Green Star Certification System
- Identify and ensure implementation of energy and water efficiency initiatives and renewable energy opportunities
- Ensure monthly collection and upload of the environmental data of all stores on the online data management system (SoFi), including maintaining data evidence (e.g. utility invoices)
- Implement the relevant initiatives of the MAF Circular Economy strategy including the strategy to reduce Food Waste by 50% by 2030
- Measure & record the amount of operational waste generated in addition to the amount diverted from landfills (donated to charity, sent for recycling, etc.)
- Develop and track a roadmap to phase-out single-use plastics by 2025
- Liaise with Operations, Marketing & Communications teams to organize customer-facing health & wellness activities aimed at increasing the awareness and consequently sales of health & wellness products
- Ensure adherence to different functions with various sustainability-related policies (Employment Conditions, Health & Safety, Responsible Procurement, Sustainable Fit-Out)
- Work with HC to push our “Healthy Workplaces” agenda, ensuring a healthy and happy environment for our employees in offices and stores
- Ensure that all employees receive sustainability-related training covering global sustainability issues and our company-wide sustainability strategy
- Regularly communicate sustainability updates to CORP HO Head of Sustainability including the monthly sustainability newsletter
- Maintain awareness of current legislation and market best practices relating to sustainability and environmental compliance, and compile/propose innovative ideas and solutions to be piloted and consequently rolled out
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE:
- A post-graduate degree in sustainability or real estate-related discipline e.g., environmental sciences, architecture, engineering
- Certified sustainability-related professional e.g., LEED AP or WELL AP certified
- Ability to interact confidently with users to establish what the problem is and explain the solution.
- 3 years+ experience in a sustainability-related role in a corporate organization or consultancy
- Knowledge of the real estate industry and the built environment
- Retail experience is a plus
- Technical sustainability skills e.g., green buildings, carbon management, health and wellbeing
- Strong project management skills in order to manage program of work with internal and external partners
- Excellent communication skills in writing and in person in order to engage staff internally
- Exceptional organizational skills and the ability to prioritize workload
Interested and qualified applicants should submit their applications through the link below.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Q-SOURCING SERVTEC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. ANY SOLICITATION WILL LEAD TO DISQUALIFICATION.
To apply for this job please visit qsourcingservtec.applytojob.com.