About This Job:
Q-Sourcing Limited is a manpower management solutions firm operating in the East African Region in the countries of Uganda, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania and South Sudan.
On behalf of one of our Kampala based clients, we are looking for a competent and experienced Company Secretary
The Company Secretary, will play a strategic role in the governance operations of the organization. He/ she will be the main coordinator and liaison point for all Governance and Board structures and information for the organization. The Company Secretary, is also the Secretary to the Board of Directors of the organization. He/ she will provide legal support and guidance, advice directors and management on compliance and governance matters. He/ she will oversee compliance with applicable statutory, regulatory and corporate governance requirements of the organization. The Company Secretary, will also coordinate all Company Secretarial responsibilities across all international locations and local entities liaising with the organization.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
• Manage and provide strategic direction to the department of Corporate Affairs of the organization
• Ensure the establishment of appropriate structures, process and documentation in place in relation to all Corporate Governance practices.
• Develop, review and update all the materials, policies, guidelines and frameworks that relate to Corporate Governance.
• Liaise with the Management Board to coordinate and manage the affairs of the Board of Directors and Shareholders of the organization.
• Advise the organization management and staff on matters that relate to good governance and compliance to the statutory requirements.
• Draft and review all the legal instruments that relate to the organization’s businesses and operations.
• Liaise with the external Counsel to represent the organization whenever need arises.
• Represent the organization on any legal or compliance matters.
• Keep abreast of relevant changes in Corporate Governance best practice.
• Provide appropriate on-the-ground oversight, support and guidance on Company Secretarial and Governance matters for stakeholders.
• Maintain a corporate calendar for all governance related activities including the organization’s Board and Shareholders’ businesses.
• Manage Company Secretarial responsibilities for the organization Produce accurate and succinct minutes of all Board and Shareholders’ meetings attended, within agreed service levels, and follow up on actions from those meetings.
• Guide the Management Board on discharging their duties and responsibilities within the approved regulatory framework.
• Advice the Board Chairman and Board members on all laws, legislation and governance matters of relevance.
• In liaison with the Management Board, schedule and coordinate Board meetings and prepare and agree agendas with Chairman and others and review, collate and distribute board papers.
• In liaison with the Management Board, produce accurate and succinct minutes of all meetings attended, and follow up on actions from those meetings.
• Ensure that the Board and its committees execute their mandates effectively and efficiently.
• Liaise with the Management Board to review, update and adopt the Terms of Reference for the Board on a regular basis.
• Guide the Chairman and Management Board on the execution of their duties within the approved regulatory framework.
• Support Chairman and the Board Members in ensuring that the Board functions efficiently and effectively, including good high-quality information flows.
• Advise the Chairman and Members on all laws, legislation and governance matters of relevance.
• Support the Chairman in ensuring Members’ letters of appointment and induction packages are available and review the same on an ad-hoc basis.
• Co-ordinate training and any other capacity building activities for the Board Members to foster their performance.
• Oversee matters relating to the Board, Shareholders and Statutory registers.
• In liaison with the Management Board, organize Annual General Meetings of shareholders.
• Draft board and shareholder resolutions and file them whenever necessary.
• Review the Company’s Articles of Association and propose changes were necessary.
• Ensure that Board and individual Board Member self-assessments are undertaken every 2 years and that the results are summarized for discussion by the Board of Directors, and that the findings and recommendations are implemented.
• Ensure that a copy of the annual report and financial statements is sent to every person who is entitled to them in terms of the Companies Act.
• Taking minutes of Shareholders ‘meetings, Board and Management meetings, extracting resolutions, and lodging required forms and annual returns with the Companies Registry;
• Ensure that the procedure for the appointment of Directors is carried out according to legal provisions;
• Safeguard the integrity and reputation of the entity by ensuring that the organization operates within local company law and regulatory requirements.
• Manage and contribute to the Leadership and Culture of the organization Witness all Company documents and keeping custody of the Company Seal.
• Carry out any other relevant assignments as directed by management.
Qualifications and Experience:
• Honors’ degree in Law.
• Possession of a Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice is a MUST
• Possession of a valid Practicing Certificate (an Advocate of the High Court) is a MUST
• Membership to any relevant professional Body like ICSA, ICG etc.
• Possession of a Master’s degree in Law, Business Administration and Public Administration is an advantage.
• Relevant working experience of at least 7 years,
preferably in a legal organization of large private reputational company as company lawyer dealing with legal consultancy, contract management, complaint management
Work Based Skills and Competencies:
• Fluency in speaking, reading and writing English
• Hands-on and ready to support the organization on daily business
• Helping to develop the organization to become legally minded in their daily operations
• Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines required
• Knowledge about Corporate Governance Principles and Practices
• Demonstrable ability to be organized, proactive, committed and service minded
• Ability to prioritize workload, use initiative and work independently
• Familiarity with Contracts management
• Familiarity Uganda’s legal/ judicial system, Risk and Compliance matters
• Computer literacy skills
• Good communication and interpersonal relations skills
How to Apply
All candidates who meet the criteria outlined as above are encouraged to send a comprehensive CV by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Kindly mark your application as “Application _ Company Secretary “In the subject line of your email.
The interested candidates should submit their application and CV not later than 5:00 pm, April 1st-2019
only shortlisted applicants will be contacted
Q-Sourcing Servtec is an equal opportunity employer. Any solicitation will lead to disqualification
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com