Most times, another person’s perception of you is based on how you look. Although dressing and grooming appropriately may not get you the job, it will give you a competitive edge and help to make a positive first impression. No matter what, always dress professionally when stepping out on professional activity. Let’s look at some quick tips for men and women on how to dress for success
Dressing tips for Women
- Acceptable dress includes a suit (skirt or slacks) or conservatively tailored dress.
- Avoid blouses or sweaters that are transparent, tight fitting, have low necklines, revealing waistlines or details that detract from your face. Shoulders should be covered.
- Perfume should never be strong. A fragrance can cause an allergic reaction or offend the interviewer.
- Apply natural-looking makeup and clear nail polish.
- Wear flat shoes or low pumps in colors that avoid making your feet a focal point. Be sure your shoes are clean and polished.
- Avoid dangling earrings, and wear no more than one ring per hand and a dress watch.
Dressing tips for Men
- Ties should be made of silk or a silk-like fabric. The tie should coordinate with your jacket and pants, but it should contrast with the color of your shirt.
- Socks should be above ankle length. Choose colors such as dark blue, black or gray.
- Select dress shoes whose color should be dark or should blend with your pants.
- Select a leather belt that visually blends with or matches your shoes.
- Make sure your haircut is short and you are clean shaven.
- Minimize jewelry. Avoid a necklace. Wear no more than one ring per hand and a dress watch.
Well, how did you dress for the last job interview you had? Do you think it had something to do with whether or not you got the job? It probably did…